Jakarta, 9 October 2021 – According to Clinical Psychologist, Nago Tejena, M.Psi, mental health is important to be maintained, especially in the midst of the pandemic. For example, by doing hobbies, maintaining healthy relationships with others, making peace with the situation and much more.
External Communications Senior Lead Tokopedia, Ekhel Chandra Wijaya, said, “The pandemic has encouraged people to do more activities at home, for example exercising. This can be seen from the Sports and Hobbies category, which is one of the categories at Tokopedia which continues to increase during the third quarter of 2021.”
In order to welcome World Mental Health Day on 10 October 2021, Tokopedia and Nago Tejena shared tips to relax the mind.
- Reduce the Use of Social Media – “Too often open social media can make us easily anxious because the incoming information is excessive and beyond our ability to control it,” explains Nago.
Nago advises, “When opening social media or the internet, looking for news is indeed necessary. But don’t forget to look for other things that are more fun, entertaining or inspiring to make your mood calmer.”
- Cooking with Family – Cooking is increasingly popular as a hobby during the pandemic. “The function of cooking is not just for entertainment or diversion. Cooking can help us to stay productive, so we are not just passive because of being forced by the pandemic,” said Nago.
Many even started an online food and beverage business from home. “It can be seen from the number of local MSMEs selling food and beverages through Tokopedia Nyam, which has increased more than 4 times during July 2021 compared to the same period last year,” said Ekhel.
- Gardening – Apart from adding to the aesthetics and serenity of the house, gardening is also useful for refreshing the mind. Its popularity as a hobby also quickly grew during the pandemic.
“Gardening has several benefits for our mental health. We can train our concentration, organize mindfully, and reconnect with nature that we might have left behind,” explained Nago.
- Doing Exercise at Home – In addition to making the body fitter, exercise can also improve mental health. “Yoga mats, sports clothes and sports equipment that can be used at home have become the most sought after sports products in the Sports category at Tokopedia recently,” added Ekhel.
- If Anxiety Continues, Call an Expert – According to Nago, excessive anxiety that is disrupting one’s daily lives or that can make one constantly restless is a sign that someone needs professional help.
“Asking for professional help is nothing to be ashamed of. Instead, this is proof that we care and are aware of the importance of taking care of ourselves,” concluded Nago.