Jakarta, 1 July 2021 - The pandemic has heightened public awareness of the importance of increasing the immunity of the family, especially in children.
dr. Deva Putriane, a doctor who is active in making various recipes for healthy complementary foods through her social media account, emphasized, “Having knowledge about providing a good first complementary food for the baby is increasingly important to increase their immunity, especially during the pandemic.”
Tokopedia with dr. Deva also shared a series of tips to help parents maximize their baby’s first foods.
- Introduce Complementary Food at 6 Months Old - The first food can be given in puree or mashed form. “This can be started under the age of 6 months only under certain conditions and after you have consulted with a pediatrician,” explained dr. Deva.
- Pay Attention to the Complementary Food’s Composition - According to the Indonesian Pediatrician Association (IDAI), the provision of complementary foods to infants 6-8 months is about 3 tablespoons to half a 250ml bowl, which is given in 2-3 large meals and 1-2 times an interlude. As for babies 9-11 months, half a bowl of 250ml in 3-4 large meals and 1-2 snacks.
Whereas at the age of 12-23 months, it is recommended to give a portion three quarters to a full bowl of 250ml size. “Giving cheese as complementary food is allowed in limited quantities, because cheese is a milk-derived product,” explained dr. Deva.
- Pay Attention to Nutrition - When providing nutrition during the pandemic, it must include macronutrients, namely carbohydrates, protein, fat and micronutrients. “These micronutrients can be obtained from animal protein from chicken, beef, fish, salmon to eggs. It can also be obtained in small quantities from vegetables,” said dr. Deva.
- Stop if an Allergic Reaction Occurs - “It Recognizing allergic reactions in babies can be done by consuming the same menu for the first 3 days of complementary foods," added dr. god. If there is a rash on the skin, itching, difficulty breathing, diarrhea and other body reactions, it is recommended to stop first and replace it with other food ingredients.
- Mandatory Equipment for Success of the First MPASI - Not just eating, but the process of the first MPASI being a disciplined habit that is taught from an early age. These include a high chair or booster seat, an apron (bib), baby eating utensils without BPA, a baby food maker and a storage box to freeze solid foods in the freezer.