Jakarta, March 5, 2021 – The COVID-19 pandemic encourages the emergence of more MSMEs in Indonesia. Tokopedia has recorded an increase in the number of sellers on its platform from 7.2 million in January 2020 to more than 10 million today.
Tokopedia’s External Communications Senior Lead, Ekhel Chandra Wijaya said, “Tokopedia is committed to #SelaluAdaSelaluBisa (#AlwaysPresentAlwaysAble) to make it easier for people to meet their needs and create opportunities through the use of technology. In building a business, especially in the midst of a pandemic, understanding market trends is very important. “
Tokopedia shares some interesting findings related to product sales trends that can be business inspiration for the public.
- Food and Beverages – The F&B category is becoming one of the most popular categories on Tokopedia towards the end of 2020 with a transaction increase of more than 3x.
“Selling products that are most sought after by people can be a good strategy for starting a business. Some of the food and beverage products that people are most looked for lately include honey, fruits, eggs, local coffee, chips and rice, ”explained Ekhel.
“In addition, selling ready-to-cook food can also be used as a business opportunity today. Seeing that there is an increase in sales of ready-to-cook food on Tokopedia to more than 3.5x at the end of 2020, “Ekhel added.
2. Beauty and Body Care – The pandemic is driving new trends and opportunities, including in the field of beauty and body care. Tokopedia noted that there was an increase in transactions in the Beauty category, reaching almost 2x by the end of 2020. Gentle Hour, a local seller in the Tokopedia Beauty category who started his business in the midst of the pandemic, also recorded a 13x increase in transactions and managed to reach customers even to Papua.
3. Plants and Garden Tools – “Gardening has become one of the most popular hobbies during the pandemic. There is an increase in transactions of more than 4x in the sub-category of Park throughout 2020 when compared to 2019 in Tokopedia, which can inspire business in 2021,” Ekhel said.
4. Sports Products – Selling a variety of products that support a popular sports hobby can also be considered as a business idea. Ekhel added, “Some of the most popular sports during 2020 based on purchases from Tokopedia, namely cycling, fitness, fishing, hiking and camping, as well as football or futsal.”
5. Painting Tools – In the midst of a pandemic, painting has become one of the favorite hobbies of the community, for example the paint by numbers activity. This can be seen from the increase in the number of sales of products such as painting supplies in the Office & Stationery sub-category in Tokopedia, which has almost doubled in 2020. “This could also be a business opportunity,” concluded Ekhel.
Tokopedia also provides assistance and access to educational materials in the form of online classes or webinars for new business people or those who are already sellers on Tokopedia through the Seller Education Center. The themes raised are very diverse, ranging from how to open a shop, tips on getting the first order, the benefits of selling online, creating interesting promo content and others.
Tokopedia, as an Indonesian technology company, has a mission to democratize commerce through technology. Tokopedia’s vision is to build a Super Ecosystem where anyone can start and discover anything. To this day, Tokopedia has empowered millions of merchants and users across the marketplace and digital goods, financial technology and payment, logistics and fulfillment, including Mitra Tokopedia.
PR Team Tokopedia | firstname.lastname@example.org